Because I am now retired from UMass, you may prefer to solicit recommendations from someone still actively employed there.
If you have asked me to write a letter of recommendation for you and if I have agreed to do so, please do the following at least two weeks before the first recommendation is due:
Give me all needed materials in a 9x12 inch envelope or a file folder:
- The printed forms or a printed list (with a copy by e-mail) of URLs or e-mail addresses for those recommendations that should be sent electronically.
- For each recommendation not to be sent electronically, an addressed, stamped envelope.
- A copy of your transcript.
- A copy of any personal statement you are including with your application.
E-mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org) answers to the following questions:
- What are your name, class graduation year, and major?
- For what kind of thing are you applying (job, graduate school, scholarship, etc.)?
- What are the specific positions, programs, or awards for which you are applying, and what is the due date for my recommendation for each?
- What has your relationship been to me (student, advisee, grader, UGTA, etc.), and when?
- If you took any of my courses: which ones; when; what course grades did you earn; and in what way(s) did you distinguish yourself there?
- Why is it especially appropriate that I write a recommendation for you?
- What makes you well qualified for the position, program, or award to which you are applying?
Send me an e-mail a week before the recommendation deadlines!
I'll let you know by e-mail once I've sent in my letter(s).
This page is modeled after a similar one by Michael Orrison (www.math.hmc.edu/~orrison/teaching/recs.html).