Brian Van Koten
I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Office: LGRT 1428
- Office Hours: See my directory page.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This semester I will be teaching Stat 697U, a course in stochastic processes. Please find the syllabus and homework assignments here.
On 10/19/2017, I presented some recent work on the string method for finding saddle points at the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM).
Video and slides are available here.
- Applied probability and numerical analysis
- Computer simulation of molecular systems and applications in biology, chemistry, and materials science
- Variance reduction for Markov chain Monte Carlo methods and applications in statistics and computational statistical physics
- Sampling rare events
- Numerical methods for finding saddle points and applications to the computation of reaction rates
- Atomistic/continuum couplings for the simulation of defects in crystalline materials
- B. Van Koten and M. Luskin. Stability and convergence of the string method for computing minimum energy paths. arXiv:1807.06094
- A. R. Dinner, E. H. Thiede, B. Van Koten, and J. Weare.
Stratification of Markov chain Monte Carlo.
- D. Olson, X. H. Li, C. Ortner, and B. Van Koten.
Force-Based Atomistic/Continuum Blending for Multilattices.
- J. O. B. Tempkin, B. Van Koten, J. C. Mattingly, A. R. Dinner, and J. Weare.
Trajectory stratification for stochastic dynamics.
to appear in SIAM Review.
- X. H. Li, C. Ortner, A. V. Shapeev, and B. Van Koten.
Analysis of blended atomistic/continuum hybrid methods.
Numerische Mathematik, 134(2):275--326, 2016.
- E. H. Thiede, B. Van Koten, J. Weare, and A. R. Dinner.
Eigenvector method for umbrella sampling enables error analysis.
The Journal of Chemical Physics, 145(8), 084115, 2016.
- E. Thiede, B. Van Koten, and J. Weare.
Sharp entrywise perturbation bounds for Markov chains.
SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, 36(3):917--941, 2015.
- B. Van Koten and C. Ortner.
Symmetries of 2-lattices and second order accuracy of the Cauchy--Born model.
Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 11(2):615--634, 2013.
- M. Luskin, C. Ortner, and B. Van Koten.
Formulation and optimization of the energy-based blended quasicontinuum method.
Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering,
- B. Van Koten, X. H. Li, M. Luskin, and C. Ortner,
A Computational and Theoretical Investigation of the Accuracy of Quasicontinuum Methods.
Numerical Analysis of Multiscale Problems,
volume 83 of
Lect. Notes Compu. Sci. Eng. Springer, 2012.
- B. Van Koten and M. Luskin,
Analysis of energy-based blended quasi-continuum approximations.
SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 49(5):2182--2209, 2011.
- R. Held, I. Stavrov, and B. VanKoten.
(Semi-)Riemannian geometry of (para-)octonionic projective planes.
Differential Geometry and its Applications, 27(4):464--481, 2009.
- J. Hardin, A. Mitani, L. Hicks, and B. VanKoten.
A robust measure of correlation between two genes on a microarray.
BMC Bioinformatics, 8(1):220, 2007.
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author.
The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Massachusetts.