Math 235H, Spring 2016

Mathematics 235H, Honors Linear Algebra. Spring 2016
Professor Siman Wong
MWF 11:15am-12:05pm. LGRT 173

Click here for your supplementary written problems (as they become available). These are in additional to your regular online homework.

You can download a copy of the course handout by clicking this link.

Information regarding your final exam:
Solution to MT#2. Here is MT#2. Solution to MT#1. Here is MT#1.

Math 235H is the Honors version of Linear Algebra.
Contact Info


LGRT , Room 1115G


siman AT math DOT umass DOT edu    
(prefered means of communication)

Office Hours

Monday & Wednesday 10-11am; Monday 1:30-2:30pm;
and by appointment

Free tutorial is available on the 10th floor of the Du Bois library. Check their schedule! (starting in late Jan)
Disclaimer: The LRC is an independent entity and is not run by the math department

Grades & Exams
Your total course grade is computed based on four components: 30% of your course grade is based on homework/participation; the remaining 70% is based on exams. Specfically, among the two midterms and the final exam, the one with the lowest percentage grade will be worth 20% of your course grade, and the remaining two, 25% each. Your final letter grade will be determined as follows:

A: 87% - 100%          A-: 83% - 87%
B+: 79% - 83% B: 75% - 79% B-: 71% - 75%
C+: 67% - 71% C: 63% - 67%          C-: 59% - 63%
D+: 55% - 59% D: 50% - 55% F: 0% - 50%


Textbook:         Linear Algebra and its Applications (5th ed) by David Lay et al. plus MyMathLab

Important Note: MyMathLab is required for this course. Your purchase of MyMathLab includes the e-Text Linear Algebra and its Applications (5th ed) by David Lay et al. You can go to and use the Course ID which the instructor will give you to purchase access at a special reduced price of $75.00. This is not a rental price, but ownership of the e-Text in perpetuity. You may also purchase a physical book with MyMathLab at You have the choice of the hardcover with MyMathLab ($125.13) or a loose leaf version with MyMathLab ($117.33). You must use the following ISBN to receive these discounted negotiated with UMass:

If you purchase the book elsewhere, be sure to get MyMathLab for the 5th edition of the book.
IMPORTANT: How to acess your e-textbook and MyMathLab

Step 0: Click here to go the MyMathLab website

Step 1: Sign up for a MyMathLab account and register for Math 235

Step 2: To access your e-textbook (after you created a MyMathLab account)

Other administrative details

Class etiquette

Religious Observance

If you will be absent from an exam or other class activity because of religious observance, you must notify me in writing, in advance of the absence, and at the beginning of the semester —within one full week of your enrollment in the course.

Drops, Withdrawals, and Incompletes

Make-up Exam request procedure

Please refer to the last page of the course handout for details. Here are a few hightlights:

Again, please refer to course handout for details.
Accommodation Statement

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is committed to providing an equal educational opportunity for all students. A student with a documented physical, psychological, or learning disability on file with Disability Services (DS) may be eligible for reasonable academic accommodations to help succeed in this course. If you have a documented disability that requires an accommodation, please notify the instructor within the first two weeks of the semester so that we may make appropriate arrangements.

Academic Honesty Statement

Since the integrity of the academic enterprise of any institution of higher education requires honesty in scholarship and research, academic honesty is required of all students at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Academic dishonesty is prohibited in all programs of the University. Academic dishonesty includes but is not limited to: cheating, fabrication, plagiarism, and facilitating dishonesty. Appropriate sanctions may be imposed on any student who has committed an act of academic dishonesty. Instructors should take reasonable steps to address academic misconduct. Any person who has reason to believe that a student has committed academic dishonesty should bring such information to the attention of the appropriate course instructor as soon as possible. Instances of academic dishonesty not related to a specific course should be brought to the attention of the appropriate department Head or Chair. Since students are expected to be familiar with this policy and the commonly accepted standards of academic integrity, ignorance of such standards is not normally sufficient evidence of lack of intent.